For ease of reference, the questions have been grouped under the following themes:

Do non-Canadians have access to the services of a CAVAC?

Yes. Any person that has been the victim of a crime committed in Québec can receive assistance from a CAVAC

A person is hurt while committing a crime. Are they entitled to receive CAVAC services?

No. CAVACs have been established for victims of crime and their immediate family and witnesses of a crime.

I was the victim of a crime in my childhood. Can I receive assistance from the CAVAC?

Yes. The victim of a crime may contact the CAVAC at any time, even if the crime was committed many years ago.

My son was the victim of a crime. Can I receive assistance from a CAVAC?

Yes. The victim’s immediate family, dependents and witnesses of a crime can receive help from a CAVAC.

If court proceedings initiated as the result of a crime extend over several months, can I receive CAVAC assistance during this time?

Yes. The victim can receive assistance from the CAVAC throughout the duration of all court proceedings as well as afterwards.

Is the assistance provided by CAVACs always one-on-one?

No. The CAVAC may work with the victim alone, with couples, families or groups based on the needs each situation may require.

Do I have to cover the costs of consulting a CAVAC victim support professional?

No. The services of the CAVAC are free and confidential.

Do I have to wait until court proceedings are over before using the services of a CAVAC?

No. There is no specific period of time within which victims could contact a CAVAC. The services of CAVACs are available at any time after a crime has been committed.

Can I obtain legal advice from a CAVAC victim support worker?

No. Only members of the Barreau du Québec may give legal advice. Members of the Chambre des notaires may act as legal advisors, but cannot represent victims in court.

Can a CAVAC victim support worker help me complete the application for compensation from the crime victims compensation office (IVAC)?

Yes. The CAVAC will inform victims of the compensation available and can help them complete the appropriate application form.

Can a CAVAC give me information about court dates in the proceedings that concern me?

Yes. CAVACs have access to court information. Victim support workers can inform victims of the progress of their case within the justice system, including the hearing dates, and let them know if they have been summoned or subpoenaed to appear.

If I lose my income as a result of a crime, will I be able to obtain financial compensation from a CAVAC?

No. CAVACs offer assistance services, not financial compensation. It’s the responsibility of the crime victims compensation office (IVAC) to provide compensation to eligible victims. CAVACs can, however, inform victims of their rights and remedies, and refer them to the appropriate organizations.

I was the victim of a break and enter. Can the CAVAC compensate me for the material damages?

No. The victim of a break-in must speak to their personal insurance company. However, the CAVAC can inform them of other possible recourses.